from the 2014 Missouri Wine Just Desserts Contest
Faye Hunton, Sedalia, MO
Ingredients for Cake
Ingredients for Raspberry Curd
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Ingredients for Frosting
- 1 (2-pound) bag confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup St. James Winery Raspberry Wine
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- Zest of 1 lemon
Instructions for Cake
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Combine cake mix, egg whites, water, raspberry wine and lemon zest in large mixing bowl; mix on low speed of electric mixer until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven 30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Let cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- When cool, slice each layer in half lengthwise, to make 4 layers.
Instructions for Raspberry Curd
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add raspberries, egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- Cook and mash berries, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Pour mixture through a strainer placed over a bowl, pressing hard on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids in strainer.
- Let liquid cool to room temperature, then stir in lemon juice.
Instructions for Frosting
- Combine confectioners’ sugar, shortening, water, raspberry wine, vanilla, butter flavoring and lemon zest in large mixing bowl.
- Beat on high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Instructions for Assembling the Cake
- Place one cake layer on cake plate; spread with one-third of the raspberry curd.
- Repeat with two more cake layers and remaining two-thirds of the raspberry curd.
- Place fourth cake layer on top. Frost sides and top with frosting.
- Decorate with additional fresh raspberries, if desired.
For a lemon and strawberry version of this recipe, substitute fresh strawberries and St. James Winery Strawberry Wine for the raspberries and raspberry wine.