- 1 prepared 9″ Pie Crust
- 8 cups sliced unpeeled ripe pears (7 to 8 medium)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons St. James Winery Cranberry Wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel-flavor ice cream topping
- Caramel flavored ice cream topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Leave an edge for crimping and do not prick bottom of pastry.
- Place 1/2 the pears in the pie plate. Cover pears with 1/2 the fresh cranberries, then add the rest of the pears.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1/4 cup sugar, the cornstarch, wine, and nutmeg.
- Drizzle evenly over pears. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- While the pie cools, put remaining cranberries & caramel topping in a small non-stick saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and boil for 1 minute, then pour over hot pie.
- Serve the pie warm with vanilla or caramel ice cream.
- Top with additional caramel sauce or….
Make extra of the cranberry/caramel sauce for a more festive ice cream topper.