by Danielle Walk, Sedalia, Missouri
Second Place, Missouri State Fair 2013 Just Desserts Contest
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (2-layer size) white cake mix
- 3-ounce package cherry gelatin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup St. James Winery Cherry Wine
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup St. James Winery Cherry Wine
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 9-inch cake pan. Place pecans in bottom of pan. Combine dry cake mix, dry gelatin, oil, cherry wine, eggs and cherry preserves in large mixer bowl; beat with electric mixer until well mixed, about 2 minutes. Gently pour batter into pan over pecans. Bake for 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- While cake is baking, prepare glaze. Combine powdered sugar, melted butter and cherry wine in large bowl; stir until well mixed.
- When cake is done, remove from oven but leave in pan. Poke holes in cake with a wooden pick. Drizzle half of the glaze over cake, letting glaze soak into holes. Leave cake in pan for 30 minutes, then remove cake from pan and transfer to serving plate to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, prepare icing. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and the remaining half of the glaze in bowl; mix until smooth. Spread icing over cooled cake. Refrigerate until serving time.
Try this with other fruit wines from St. James Winery!