Have a crowd-pleasing chili recipe that could win awards?
Love eating chili on cold days?
Public House Brewing Company and St. James Winery are hosting a Chili Cook-Off on Saturday, February 18, 2017. The event will be held at Public House: St. James Taproom in the Mezzanine (551 State Route B St. James, MO 65559).
11 a.m. | Chili Cook-Off Contestants Arrive
11:30 a.m. | Chili Cook-Off Judging Begins
12 p.m. – 2 p.m. | Free Chili Samples
All Chili Cook-Off contestants will be serving free samples of their homemade chili recipes (while supplies last). Pair them with a Public House beer or a glass of St. James Winery wine for the perfect combination.
12 p.m. – 3 p.m. | Live Music by CUZ
2 p.m. | Chili Cook-Off Awards
Chili Cook-Off winners announced and prizes awarded.
o $100 for first place
o $75 for second place
o $50 for third place
All Day | Special R&D Beer & Bowls of Chili
Try our special R&D beer on tap and order a hot bowl of Public House chili with all the fixings. A match made in heaven on a cold February day.
To Enter the Chili Cook-Off
- Download the Chili Cook-Off Entry Form.
- Fill out the form, and attach a copy of your ingredient list to the form (for food allergy purposes only – we will not share this publicly).
- Bring your form, ingredient list and $25.00 non-refundable entry fee (cash, check or credit card) to any one of our three locations by end of business on Saturday, February 11, 2017.
- Public House Brewing Company: Rolla Brewpub | 600 N Rolla St, Rolla, MO 65401
- Public House Brewing Company: St. James Taproom | 551 State Route B, St. James, MO 65559
- James Winery Tasting Room | 540 State Route B, St. James, MO 65559
Please note: The Chili Cook-Off is limited to the first 20 entries received.
- Prepare your chili (minimum of 8 quarts) using the ingredient list you submitted with your entry form.
- Bring your chili to Public House Brewing Company: St. James Taproom Mezzanine on Saturday, February 18 at 11 a.m. You must bring:
- A minimum of 8 quarts of your chili in a working crockpot (must be at serving temperature by 11:30 a.m.)
- A serving spoon (for filling small 2 oz. sample cups)
We will supply an electrical outlet for the crockpot, table space, sampling cups and spoons for samples. Entries must arrive at Public House no later than 11:30 a.m. or they will not be included in the judging.
- Judging starts at 11:30 a.m. with a panel of three specially selected judges. The chili will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Color – Does the chili look appetizing? Does it look bright and colorful or dull and bland?
- Aroma – Does it smell good? Does the aroma make you want to dig in?
- Consistency – How is the meat-to-sauce ratio? It shouldn’t be runny, mushy or overly thick.
- Taste – How is the flavor? Do the ingredients blend well, or is one too overpowering? Does the first bite make you want another one?
- Aftertaste – Once you swallow, is there a spicy taste (“bite”) that stays on your tongue? Is it pleasant?
- You will serve samples of your chili to the public from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m in the Public House: St. James Taproom Mezzanine. Note: This is a requirement for all contestants in the contest, no exceptions.
- Winners of the Chili Cook-Off will be announced at 2 p.m. First place receives $100 cash, second place receives $75 cash, and third place receives $50 cash.
For more details about the event, contact the Events Coordinator Gina Maben at 573-261-3338 or firstname.lastname@example.org.