by Rich Trippler, Bartender & Mixologist
at Bleu Restaurant & Wine Bar
- 1 ounce London dry gin
- 1 ounce orange liqueur
- 1-1/2 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces St. James Winery Raspberry Wine
- sliced blood orange
- Combine the first three ingredients in a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously to chill, then strain into a martini glass.
- Slowly pour the wine down the inside of the glass, allowing the wine to sink to the bottom, creating a layered drink.
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange.
Inspired by a classic cocktail, the Red Lion, this is a really beautiful and zesty wine cocktail. Some may be afraid of the gin (substitute vodka). Having the raspberry wine on the bottom makes for a great effect as well. The raspberry flavors come in at the end of each drink, making for a complex flavor profile. Blood oranges are a great garnish, and match the color of this layered drink perfectly.