https://www.stjameswinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/chili-1201440_1920.jpg 1440 1920 https://www.stjameswinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/ST.JAMES_HeritageWines_Logo_Primary_Black-compressed.png 2014-09-05 20:13:192020-10-14 21:10:26Norton Venison Chili
Norton Venison Chili
- 1-1/2 pounds ground venison
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped yellow pepper
- 1 chopped small red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (16-ounce) cans chili beans in sauce
- 2 cups St. James Winery Estate Norton Wine
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- sliced green onions
- Sauté onions and bell peppers in olive oil until tender.
- Add ground beef and brown slowly over low heat, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook until ground venison is thoroughly cooked.
- Add chili seasonings, chili powder, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, beans and red wine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours taste and add salt and pepper. Then add sugar to round out flavor.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and/or sliced green onions.