- 1/2 cup St. James Winery Velvet Red Wine
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 three-inch strips lemon rind
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Combine the first four ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat: cook 10 minutes or until fruit is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar and juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thick, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard lemon rind. Cool.
While it’s still warm, drizzle a spoonful of this fabulous, fruity treat over vanilla ice cream and garnish with a sprig of mint. Or spoon chilled compote over angel food cake.