by Chef Timothy Grandinetti, C.E.C.
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup St. James Winery Blackberry Wine
- 3 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- Combine 3 tablespoons orange juice with cornstarch. Mix thoroughly and reserve.
- Put the St. James Blackberry Wine, blackberries, brown sugar, remaining orange juice, cinnamon, and cloves in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a strong simmer and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture. Simmer, stirring until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cool and/or chill.
Serve over angel food cake. Or, sprinkle pie pastry with cinnamon and sugar, then bake. Serve compote with crumbled pieces of the or baked pie pastry.