- 2 cups St. James Winery Country Red Wine
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 large heads red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large lemon, quartered and seeded
- 4 thick slices smoked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup boiling water
- Cook bacon in large Dutch oven until nicely browned.
- Add onions and cook until transparent. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add cabbage, garlic, caraway seeds, and the boiling water. Cover and cook until cabbage wilts.
- Add pears, lemon pieces, wine and vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add honey and stir thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on very low heat for 1/2 an hour.
- Remove lemon and continue cooking until cabbage is reduced to half the original amount.
- If not sweet-sour enough, add a little brown sugar. Liquid should be about 1 inch. If more, set lid ajar to reduce while cooking.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours and then reheat just before serving.
Sip Sweetly. Enjoy Responsibly.